This post supersedes portions of "Humans of Monvesia, Part 2: Uncommon Humans" and "Other Non-Humans of Monvesia.""Goblinoid" has come to mean three, particular, interrelated races in modern Dungeons & Dragons. In the past, similar terms had been used to collectively describe these alongside ogres, orcs, gnolls, and kobolds as well. It is in this wider context that I use the term when discussing the races of Monvesia.
Goblinoids in Monvesia are the result of a temperamental disorder known as Taint. Each tainted race has an untainted counterpart. These races can be grouped into clades according to their racial origin.
- True Humanoids
- Ogres are tainted goliaths
- Oni are the descendants of ogres left behind in Desolation.
- Orcs are tainted humans
- Ogrillons are the descendants of orcs left behind in Desolation.
- Sahuagin are tainted tritons.
- Goblins are tainted gnomes
- Hobgoblins are tainted dwarves
- Bugbears are a tainted neanderthals
- Baastfolk Races
- Gnolls are tainted rakasta or anepu (two, distinct species) [may apply to any carnivoran beastfolk, each its own race]
- Scalikind Races
- Troglodytes are tainted lizardfolk
- Yuan-ti are tainted nagi
Playable stats for many these races can be found in Volo's Guide to Monsters: bugbear, goblin, hobgoblin, orc, and yuan-ti. To play a gnoll (Rakasta or Anepu), use the stats below.
Gnoll TraitsYour gnoll character has the following racial traits:
- Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
- Age. TBD.
- Alignment. Gnolls are typically chaotic evil.
- Size. Gnolls are between 6 and 7 feet tall and weigh between 200 and 275 pounds. Your size in Medium.
- Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if you were in bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light. You can' discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
- Bite. You have a bite melee weapon attack that deals 1d4 piercing damage.
- Rampage. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, you may take a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a bite attack. At 5th level and higher, one creature you can see within 30 feet of you can use its reaction to make a melee attack if it can hear you and has the rampage trait.
- Languages. You can speak read, and write Common and Gnoll.
Taint ImmunityAs an ailment designed by the great old ones to use against humans and goliaths, many races are immune to its effects. However, few hard-and-fast rules exists o determine which races will or will not be transformed. The known immune races (and races not yet known to be susceptible) can be categorized as follows:
Edited September 13, 2018 (kobold -> boggart); June 20, 2019 (removed half-orc); June 30, 2019 (removed kobold/boggart); April 17, 2020 (expanded list with new races); May 28, 2020 (added gnoll traits).