Language Analog: Tamil
Inspiration: Vanara of Hindu mythology, Oriental Adventures, and the Pathfinder RPG
While developing a world for another 5th edition campaign, a player asked to play a Vanara--for which there are not yet official rules. We found an option online that suited our needs, and modified the race's culture as necessary. Having settled on a version of the race that I liked for 5th Edition, I began to wonder how this race might fit in Monvesia.-----
Tainted Counterpart: Yetis (and sasquatches, a temperate forest variant)
Temperamental Association: Altruist
Male Names: See "Pure Tamil Baby Names for Boys"
Female Names: See "Pure Tamil Baby Names for Girls"
Vanara are native to Henjal, from a region known to humans as the Forest of Vines and the Sea of Sans. According to tradition, Anumat was the first vanara--and it was he that taught the other monkeys the ways of civilization. For millennia, they lived secluded in the Kallirukal region of the Panjou mountains--in the semi-mythical valley of Houdon's Vale, under the shadow of Mount Vascha.
Three vanara nations have risen to power amid eastern ruins of the ancient Empire of the Evening and Morning Star: Kallirukal in the southeastern Panjou Mountains, Kotiyakatu in the eastern Forest of Vines, and Manalkatal in the western Sea of Sand. Recently, the Vanara have begun to explore the larger world around them. Some have ventured into the Raviq to the west, while others have followed the trail of human and lizardfolk artifacts through the Sea of Sand to Prace in the east. They have even established a trade route between Manalkatal and Veldistan.
The original stats I had chosen to use were once available at http://www.enworld.org, but I have been unable to load that page recently. I have re-loaded the traits here. If the original author were to send me a new/updated link, I will provide that instead.Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2.
Vanara SubracesVanara have three subraces, each of which has its own culture and homeland in the West. Vanara of all three cultures can be found living together in Monvesia colonies. Choose one of the following.
- Ability Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
- Cantrip: You know one Cantrip of your choice from the cleric spell list. Wisdom is your spellcasting abilily for it.
- Ability Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
- Swift Climber: Your base walking and base climbing speed both increase to 35 feet.
- Natural Jumper: You do no halve your jumping distances when making standing long jumps or standing high jumps
- Ability Increase: Your Strength score increases by 1.
- Natural Athlete: You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
- High Vanara say that Anumat died after a long life, and has reincarnated many times since; Sometimes he lives a normal life, and sometimes he lives the life of a guru
- Treetop Vanara say that Anumat never died, but lives on among the Vanara; he reveals himself every few centuries to pass on a new lesson
- Whitecape Vanara say that Anumat was killed by the monkeys he sought to enlighten, but rose from the dead and ascended into heaven; they claim that he returns from heaven on occasion to continue his mission
Vanara clerics draw their power from their faith in Anumat's teaching. Clerics of this tradition use the Life, Nature, or Trickery domains.
Legend of Chanvhara
Edited Jul 17, 2017 (Retcon update; Hanuman becomes Anumat); Jul 19, 2017; Sep 13, 2018; May 31, 2019; Jun 22, 2019; Nov 2, 2019 (temperamental association).