This post supersedes a portion of "Humans of Monvesia, Part 2: Uncommon Humans."
Language Analog: By human region (see "Humans of Monvesia, Part One")
Inspiration: The Elemental Evil storyline is a good fit for this setting, given their mutual elemental fetishism.
Tainted Counterparts: none; genasi are immune to Taint
Temperamental Association: By race/sphere -
- Air Genasi ("Aerite") (Elemental Evil), Idealist / Aerosphere
- speak Common & Auran
- Earth Genasi ("Lithite") (Elemental Evil), Materialist / Lithosphere
- speak Common & Terran
- Fire Genasi ("Pyrite") (Elemental Evil), Vitalist / Pyrosphere
- speak Common & Ignan
- Light Genasi ("Hierite") (see below), Altruist / Hierosphere
- speak Common & Luman
- Water Genasi ("Hydrite") (Elemenal Evil), Dynamist / Hydrosphere
- speak Common & Aquan
- Void Genasi ("Necrite") (see below), Nihilist / Necrosphere
- speak Common & Umbran
Unlike half-orcs, planetouched are born as such to human parents. Though they can be born wherever humans have settled, most genasi are from western Cuorria--the nations of the Helvet, Montaigne, and Ulvio. Their heightened presence in this region may indicate a shift in elemental power here.
Genasi are capable off ascending to sainthood. However, they are specifically barred from ascending to the Sphere in opposition to their own Sphere of origin.
- Hierosphere and Necrosphere are in oppostion.
- Aerosphere and Lithosphere are in opposition.
- Hydrosphere and Pyrosphere are in opposition.
RETCON NOTE: Originally the Aasimar and Tieflings were used to fill the roles of the Light and Void Genasi, receptively. These races have evolved beyond the original incarnations to fully embrace the common D&D cosmology. Therefore, the time has come to explore new options for Light and Void player races.
Light Genasi, or Hierites
- Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
- Luminous Shield. You re resistant to radiant damage and cannot be blinded.
- Embrace the Light. Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to make your eyes glow and cause a nimbus of light to erupt around you, Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During your transformation, you have a flying speed of 30 feet, and once per turn you can deal extra radiant damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or spell. The extra damage is equal to your level. One you use this trait you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
Void Genasi, or Necrites
- Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
- Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light.
- Necrotic Resistance. You are resistant to necrotic damage.
- Child of the Night. You know the chill touch cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the darkness spell once with this trait as a 2nd-level spell, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.