Language Analog: Turkish
Inspiration: Rakasta of Mystara ("Isle of Dread," "Rage of the Rakasta"), Genghis Khan
NOTE: Rakasta refers to a very particular race in a very particular world. While the race I am presenting here is similar to those of that world, I am not trying to explicitly emulate that race. I use the name here because it conveys the idea of "proud warrior race" better than catfolk could.-----
Tainted Counterpart: Gnolls
Temperamental Association: Vitalist
Names: See Turkish Names; swap out accented letters with c, x, and q as you see fit.
Concerning rakasta language: the consonants c, x, and q do not represent the sounds they do in English. They are closer to the clicks of the Bantu languages. c represents a click of the tip of the tongue against the front teeth (sometimes called a tsk or tut-tut); x represents a click of the central part of the tongue against the molars (sometimes called a tchick); q represents a clock of the back of the tongue in the throat.With Dwarves and Elves, Rakasta are one of the original races of Monvesia. Their territory is common called the Pridelands. It once extended through parts of the Honderreich and Galtain, and included all of Veldistan.
The basic unit of Rakasta (rraqahsca) society is the nomadic pride, which is similar to the dwarf clan (see below). Each pride is a branch of one of the great prides, nomadic kingdoms:
- Lyncasta (people of the lynx) [extinct]
- Pardasta (people of the leopard/jaguar)
- Sylvasta (people of the wildcat) [endangered]
- Sherekasta (people of the tiger)
- Simbasta (people of the lion)
- Xitasta (people of the Cheetah)
Each pride is governed by a hereditary nyan (if male) or nyanum (if female); the nyan of the eldest pride in a great pride is the nyaqan (male) or nyacun (female), having authority over all rakasta of the great pride. A younger pride that remains partially dependent on its parent pride is rules by an rr’nyan or rr’nyanum.
A pride consists of an extended family, its cattle, and its saber-toothed tigers (simply called "sabers")--which they use as war mounts, kind of like a tribe of humans riding gorillas.
Each great pride is an independent, nomadic nation. On rare occasion, the nyaqan or nyacun of every great pride will meet in a summit, but not often. The last such summit was at the end of the Orc Wars, when the rakasta were forced to concede the loss of the Sylvasta territories, granting that eastern territory to humankind (which would later become the Honderreich).
The Orc Wars scattered the Sylvasta throughout the Honderreich and Cuorria. Their prides are now urban nomads, and much smaller than those in the remaining pridelands. The highest authority for the sylvasta is the rr’nyan of the band. Occationally, the sylvasta of a single human nation may declare one of their number their nyan, but this is a rare occurance, and the nyan has no real authority (often, a matriarch or patriarch needing special attention).
The region now known as Veldistan was once home to the Lyncasta great pride. As humans moved into that territory, the Lyncasta would have been driven out--but instead fought back. The Lyncasta War led to the eradication of that great pride--with any surviving members merging with other prides in nearby areas.
- Ability Score Increase: +Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.
- Age: Rakasta age somewhat more rapidly than humans do, reaching adulthood in their early teens. They live to be around 70.
- Alignment: Rakasta a free-spirited, and instinct-driven like the beasts they represent. They lean toward Chaotic alignments.
- Size: Rakasta stand between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 feet tall and have lean, athletic builds. Your size is Medium.
- Speed: Your base walking speed is 40ft.
- Darkvision: Like the felines you resemble, you are adapted to hunt at dawn and dusk. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern colors in darkness only shades of gray.
- Cat's Grace: You have advantage on saving throws to maintain balance or footing.
- Natural Hunter: You have proficiency in the Perception and Stealth skills.
- Cat's Claws: Your unarmed strikes deal slashing damage (instead of bludgeoning damage)
- Languages: You can speak, read and write Common (the local human language) and Rakasta.
NOTE: I had originally intended on using and adaptation of the Shifter from the Eberron installment of Unearthed Arcana for this race. However, this did not represent the race as it has been played to date.
Random Height & Weight (see p. 121 in the Player's Handbook)
- Base Height: 4' 5"
- Height Modifier: +2d6
- Base Weight: 90 lb.
- Weight Modifier: x (1d6)
- Cost: 2 gp (this is the cost of one "gauntlet")
- Damage: 1d4 slashing
- Weight: 1 lb
- Properties: Finesse, light
- Type: Inhaled
- Price per Dose: 150gp
- Effect: Treat as Essence of Ether. Rakasta, halflings, gnolls, and kobolds have disadvantage on the saving throw; all other races have advantage.