Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Super Generic RPG Post Go!

I like RPGs.  I also like lists:  I think in lists.  I organize in lists.  I conceptualize in lists.  It is, therefore, natural for me to detail my experiences with RPGs in lists.  So, here is a handful of lists that I have been kicking around for a while.  Each could be its own post with details and almost-thought-provoking commentary.  But they have been sitting in my drafts for so long that maybe they just want to be lists.

Also, a picture of my dice collection.

Describing RPGs

While working at a game store, I developed a larger tabletop gaming vocabulary.  I learned the "proper" way to describe games to customers--and the necessary keywords to link one game a player enjoys to another they might want to try.  This has led me to ask the question:  What are the best "gamer buzzwords" to describe RPGs?
  • Adventure
  • Cooperative
  • Immersion
  • Legacy
  • Resource Management
  • Storytelling
Did I miss any important ones?


Dream Campaigns

This section of the post has been moved to the Appendix.



Campaign as the Hero's Journey

Joseph Campbell's Monomyth has been used to both describe myth and outline epic blockbusters.  Why not also use it to assist in campaign planning?
"Basic" and "Expert" are terms ported over from B/X and BECMI D&D; "Heroic" and "Paragon" are taken from 4th Edition D&D. 
Character Backstory
  • Call to Adventure
  • Refusal of the Call
  • Supernatural Aid
  • Crossing the Threshold
Basic Heroic Adventuring (levels 1 - 3)
  • Belly of the Whale
Expert Heroic Adventuring (levels 4 - 10)
  • Road of Trials
  • Meeting the Goddess
  • The Temptation
Paragon Adventuring (levels 11+)
  • Atonement with the Father
  • Apotheosis
  • The Great Boon
  • Refusal of the Return
  • The Magic Flight
Endgame
  • Rescue from Without
  • Crossing the Return Threshold
  • Master of Two Worlds
  • Freedom to Live
Edited Jun 30th, 2016; Nov 9th, 2016; Feby 2nd, 2017; Dec 25th, 2019; Mar 7, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment