New races below (Hetru/Cattlefolk and Sabu/Dogfolk) are constructed using the Race Builder from the Advanced Race Guide.
Concerning Language: All native races of Nefret speak their own racial language (including humans) and Nefretic (Common). Characters with a high intelligence may learn to speak any other native racial language.
Nefretic (Common) is a hybrid language of Elven, Tengu, and Dogfolk. It developed as a trade language during the early dynasties of the Empire. It continues to be the common language of the Empire, and is used as a lingua franca for the entire continent.
In the Nefretic (Common) language, plurals are generally formed by adding the suffix -u. Words that end in -er are pluralized as -ru; words ending in -ah are pluralizes -au. Entries on this list use that convention.
- Core races of the Empire
- Khonsites (High [green] Elves)
- Hapites (River [blue] Elves)
- Minites (Desert [black] Elves)
- Horaktites (Hawk Tengu)
- Jehutites (Ibis Tengu)
- Nekhbites (Vulture Tengu)
- Duamutites (Jackal Dogfolk)
- Sutekhites (Sha Dogfolk)
- Wapwetites (Wild Dogfolk)
- Respected Foreigners & Skilled Workers
- Bastites (Agrarian Catfolk)
- Sekhmites (Nomadic Catfolk)
- Apisites (Bull Cattlefolk)
- Khnumites (Ram Cattlefolk)
- Sattites (Antelope Cattlefolk)
- Undesirable Foreigners & Unskilled Workers
- Amnites ("True" Grippli)
- Hauhites (Tree Grippli)
- Kukites (Poison Dart Grippli)
Pessh-Hemu/Half-elves were once considered equal to humans, but have recently come to be respected at the same level as elves--though this is likely a temporary elevation.
Concerning Subraces: The child of two parents of different subraces of the same race will exhibit the general racial traits of one's mother. The father's subrace will be represented solely by physical traits.
Abnekh (Grippli)Abnekhu (grippli) are native to the swampy delta of the River Nefret. Their primary netjer is Nun, whose priests are often swamp druids. They may select any available alternate racial trait.
Grippli have a Mississippian culture, which also incorporates traits from the Pygmies from Greek myth (including a racial feud with Jehutite [crane/stork] tengu).
- Amnites: Amnites resemble "true" frogs; they have the base grippli racial traits.
- Hauhites: Hauhites resemble tree frogs; they have the glider and jumper alternate racial traits.
- Kukites: Kukiates resemble poison dart frogs; they have the toxic skin alternate racial trait.
Hefah (Nagaji)Hefau (nagaji, snakefolk) are both feared an revered. Their netjeru include Apep, Nun (as Naunet, which they share with gripplis and elves), and Wadjet; they are also known to follow the jungle druid tradition. Hefau may select the hypnotic gaze alternate trait.
Nagaji have an Olmec/Tamoanchan culture.
Heter (Cattlefolk - new)Hetru (cattlefolk) resemble humanoid bulls, rams, or antelopes. Both males and females have horns of varying types. Their primary netjer is Hathor.
Cattlefolk have a Hittite/Anatolian culture; this culture incorporates traits from the Amazons of Greek myth.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom: Cattlefolk are sturdy and gentle, but easily manipulated
- Cattlefolk: Cattlefolk are humanoids with the cattefolk subtype
- Medium: Cattlefolk are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Cattlefolk have a base speed of 30 feet
- Cornered Fury: Whenever a cattlefolk is reduced to half its hit points or fewer and has no conscious ally within 30 feet, it gains a +2 racial bonus on melee attack rolls and to Armor Class.
- Sociable: When cattlefolk attempt to change a creature's attitude with a Diplomacy check and fail by 5 or more, they can try to influence the creature a second time even if 24 hours have not passed.
- Sprinter: Cattlefolk gain a +10 foot racial bonus to their speed when using the charge, run, or withdraw actions.
- Relentless: Cattlefolk gain a +2 bonus on combat maneuver checks made to bull rush or overrun an opponent. This bonus only applies while both the cattlefolk and its opponent are standing on the ground.
- Gore Attack: Using their horns defensively, cattlefolk have a natural gore attack. This is a primary natural attack, and deals 1d6 damage.
- Apisites: Apisites resemble buffalo and cattle; they have the base traits described above.
- Khnumites: Khnumites resemble sheep and goats; they have the following alternate racial trait:
- Stubborn: Khnumites gain a +2 racial bonus on Will saving throws to resist spells and spell-like abilities of the enchantment (charm) and enchantment (compulsion) subschools. In addition, if a khnumite fails such a save, he or she receives another save 1 round later to prematurely end the effect (assuming the spell or spell-like ability has a duration greater than 1 round). This second save is made at the same DC as the first. If the member of the race has a similar ability from another source (such as a rogue's slippery mind class feature), it can only use one of these abilities per round, but can try the other on the second round if the first reroll ability fails. This ability replaces both the sociable and relentless racial trait.
- Sattites: Sattites resemble antelopes, gazelles, and oryxes; they have the following alternate racial traits:
- TBD. This ability replaces the sociable racial trait.
- TBD. This ability replaces the relentless racial trait.
Kheri (Human)Kheriu (humans) are not the dominant species of Nefret--in fact, they are typically subjugated by the other races (particularly neshu/elves) as servants. Few humans are truly free. Though originally practitioners of mystery traditions (oracles), humans have come to be associated with the insect-like netjeru Khepri and Selket.
Humans may select any appropriate "heart of the ..." alternate trait, and even the mixed heritage alternate trait.
Humans have a Mycenaean/Greek culture.
Mah (Catfolk)Mau (catfolk) are both a violent and friendly people. Their netjeru include Bastet and Sekhmet; many mau also follow the desert druid tradition.
Catfolk have an Ancient Libyan/Berber culture--including both nomadic and agrarian cultures.
- Bastites: Bastities are agrarian catfolk who resemble wildcats, jungle cats, and sand cats. Bastites may select the clever cat, curiosity, and/or nimble faller alternate racial traits.
- Sekhmites: Sekhmites are nomadic catfolk who resemble lions or leopards. Sekhmites may select the cat's claws, climber, or scent alternate racial traits.
Naher (Vanara)Nahru (vanaras) resemble baboons, macaques, and mandrills. Their primary netjer is Thoth; though they also follow the plains and desert druid traditions. All nahru have both the tree stranger and whitecape alternate traits.
Vanara have a Chadic/Sahel chulture.
Nebah (Tengu)Nebau (tengu) are more aristocratic than their counterparts in other worlds--often being military commanders and sages. They are the race secondly only to neshu/elves in authority in Nefret. The three tribes of nebau resemble a variety of birds. Their netjeru include Horus, Ra, and Thoth (the latter of which is shared with the nahru/vanara).
- Horaktites: Horaktites resemble falcons and hawks. They have the glide alternate racial trait. Their netjeru are Horus and Ra.
- Jehutites: Jehutites resemble ibises, cranes, and ostriches. They have the basic tengu statistics. Their netjeru are Maat and Thoth.
- Nekhbites: Nekhbites resemble kites and vultures. They have the carrion sense and claw attack alternate traits. Their primary netjer is Nephthys.
Nesh (Elf)Neshu (elves) are the ruling class of Nefret--having governed the land for generations. They resemble hairless humans with green (high), blue (aquatic), or black (desert) skin tones. Sometime, it seems as if their skin shimmers as if it were metallic or crystalline. Their netjer include Heka, Isis, Maat, Neith, Nephthys, Nun, Osiris, and Ptah (some of which they share with other races).
- Hapites: Hapite skin tones range through shades of blue. They are river elves with the spirit of the waters alternate racial trait. Their netjeru are Neith and Nun.
- Khonsites: Khonsites have skin tones that range across shades of green. They are the high elves presented in the Core Rulebook. Their netjeru are Isis, Maat, Ptah, and Osiris.
- Minites: Minites have skin tones that range from silver-grey to pitch-black. They are desert elves with the desert runner and elemental resistance alternate racial traits. Their primary netjeru are Min and Nephthys.
Elven culture is based on the core, Ancient Egyptian culture.
Nem (Dwarf)Nemu (dwarves) are native the mountainous regions from whence the River Nefret springs. Among their disproportionate physical features, they are best known for the enormous size of their external genitalia--so large for both sexes that the whole race is often mistaken for being hermaphrodites. Their netjer are Bes and Ptah; their traditions also include the mountain druid.
All nemu have the sky sentinel alternate racial traits, and must select either the craftsman or lorekeeper racial trait.
Half-elves may select any of the following alternate traits: arcane training, dual minded, sociable, wary, or even water child.
Half-elves do not have an indepenednt culture, but are associated with the equivalent of the Amarna Period of Ancient Egypt.
Rehen (Crocodilian Lizardfolk)
Lizardfolk have a Mayan culture.
Sab (Dogfolk - new)Sabu (dogfolk) resemble humanoid jackals (Duamutites), shas (see Mummy's Mask; Sutkhites), and wild dogs (Wapwetites). They are the third most powerful and respected race in Nefret. Their netjer include Anubis ans Set.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity: Dogfolk are hearty and wise, but a bit clumsy.
- Dogfolk: Dogfolk are humanoids with the dogfolk subtype.
- Medium: Dogfolk are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Dogfolk have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: In dim light, dogfolk can see twice as far as humans.
- Dog’s Bite: Dogfolk can use their teeth as a natural weapon. This bite is a primary attack that deal’s 1d6 points of damage.
- Dog’s Nose: Dogfolk have the scent ability (Bestiary 304).
- Watchful: Dogfolk are naturally watchful. They receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks, and always treat Perception and Sense Motive as class skills.
- Duamutites: Duamutites resemble jackals; they have the following alternate racial trait:
- TBD. This ability replaces the dog's nose racial trait.
- Sutkhites: Sutekhites resemble shas; they have the following alternate racial trait:
- TBD. This ability replaces the watchful racial trait.
- Wapwetites: Wapwetites resemble African wild dogs and African golden wolves; they have the base traits presented above.